About the program/Scholarship:
The NYU Abu Dhabi Research Institute invites scholars who wish to contribute to the vibrant research culture of NYUAD’s Saadiyat campus to apply for a residential fellowship, starting September 2023. Humanities Research Fellowship for the Study of the Arab World.
The Institute welcomes applications from scholars working in all areas of the Humanities related to the study of the Arab world, its rich literature and history, its cultural and artistic heritage, and its manifold connections with other cultures. This includes, among others, Islamic Intellectual History and Culture, any areas of particular relevance to the MENA region, as well as projects thematically connected to existing research projects and initiatives at NYUAD’s divisions of Arts & Humanities and Social Sciences (see https://nyuad.nyu.edu/en/research.html).
Applications will not be considered complete without all required documentation including the Additional Information form. indicates a required document for ALL applicants (please note that applicants who received their PhDs within the last 5 years are required to submit additional documents)
- Curriculum vitae
- Project proposal
- Research Plan
- Abstract of dissertation
- Title page, table of contents, and excerpt
- Abstract of publication (if available)
- Reference Letters
Fellows of the program will find it enriching to work alongside scholars who conduct research in related and adjacent fields, such as in the Social Sciences. Scholarship supported by this program aims at close connectivity with the research of NYU Abu Dhabi’s faculty and its curriculum with concentrations in, among others, Anthropology, Art and Art History, History, Literature, Music, Philosophy, Theater, Film & New Media Studies, as well as the Arab Crossroads Studies and Museum & Heritage Studies programs.
Each fellow receives a competitive stipend commensurate with experience, housing, health insurance, work/office space on campus, full access to NYUAD’s library facilities (with close connections to NYU’s main library in New York), research allowance, an opportunity to host a small workshop funded by the Research Institute, and support for travel to and from Abu Dhabi.
- Eligible applicants will have received documents attesting to the completion of their PhDs by September 1, 2023. Successful candidates will be asked to submit these documents prior to the start of the fellowship.
- Distinguished scholars with an outstanding scholarly accomplishment, including an internationally recognized publication record; mid-career scholars with strong publication records and exceptional scholarly promise; as well as early-career scholars, with a strong record of scholarly accomplishment, who wish to turn their doctoral dissertations into book manuscripts publishable with major academic presses are encouraged to apply.
- All fellowships will be offered to scholars who demonstrate an interest in playing an active role in the intellectual community of NYUAD, in particular by exchanging ideas with other fellows, faculty, and students. The fellowships are open to scholars of all backgrounds and nationalities.
Nationality: No specific nationality required
Age: No specific age required
How to Apply:
Hit Apply Now button, create and account or sing in with partner institution or with Google account to be able to send your documents.