About the program/Scholarship:
Open Technology Fund offers a grant opportunity as well as a lot of technical services that aim to facilitate the digital emergency response community to resolve threats in a timely and comprehensive manner for individuals, communities, and organizations whose free expression has recently been repressed. It provides anywhere from $1 to $50,000 for a period of six months or less for individuals or groups carrying out efforts such as:
- Establishing new Internet connections (such as VPNs) when existing connections have been cut off or are being restricted.
- Providing personal digital protection for online journalists, human rights defenders, NGOs, activists, and bloggers.
- The rapid development of tools or translations needed to respond adequately to emergencies.
- Developing decentralized, mobile Internet applications that can link computers as an independent network.
- The appropriate response to any other digital emergencies.
About the Open Technology Fund(OTF):
The Open Technology Fund (OTF) is an independent non-profit organization committed to advancing global Internet freedom. OTF supports projects focused on counteracting repressive censorship and surveillance, enabling citizens worldwide to exercise their fundamental human rights online. Through the research, development, implementation, and sustainability of technologies that facilitate the free flow of information, increase at-risk users’ digital security, and enable free expression, the OTF community is working to shape the Internet as a platform that fosters unimpeded connection and collaboration, facilitating positive social progress and reinforcing core democratic values.
OTF offers two types of support to organizations, activists, journalists, and other human rights defenders:
- Technological services from trusted service partners.
- Support amounts average from 5,000 to 25,000 USD and cannot exceed 50,000 USD.
You should meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for funding:
- Individuals of all ages irrespective of nationality, creed, or sex.
- You should demonstrate the skill and ability to conduct rapid response work.
- Have intimate knowledge of the communities they are working with and the digital threats they experience.
- Not a resident within countries that the United States has trade restrictions or export sanctions as determined by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
- All payments will be made in U.S. dollars (USD) and will comply with local laws, and regulations.
- You are responsible for the tax consequences of any support you receive, as determined by the laws of your country.
The selection process will be taken place based on the following criteria:
- Quality of project idea.
- Multiplier effect/sustainability.
- Applicant’s record and capacity.
No specific nationality required
- 7 – 60
How to Apply:
To apply for this grant, please press “Apply for this Fund”, and fill out all the application fields with:
- Basic information.
- More information about your project.
- What are you applying for?
- Answer some questions.
- Legal Information for the contract.
- CVs/Resumes of Key Staff.
- Budget or other project attachments.
- Click ” Submit for review”.