About the program/Scholarship:
Bridport Prize announces the opening of the Memoir Award for non-fiction stories about events, experiences, periods of time in the writer’s own life written in any style or form.
About the Prize:
Bridport Prize is a literary competition. The mission of the Bridport Prize is to encourage emerging writers and promote literary excellence through its writing competition structure.
- First prize: £1,500, and a year’s mentoring from The Literary Consultancy through their Chapter & Verse scheme. You’ll also have the chance to consult with A.M. Heath, a leading London literary agency, plus get valuable advice from an editor at John Murray (part of Hachette publishers). You have the option of taking part in an online seminar with Professor Sam North from the University of Exeter’s English Department. In addition, the opening chapter/s of your memoir will be published on the website.
- Runner up £750: Your full manuscript will be assessed by The Literary Consultancy with invaluable editorial feedback and you’ll be offered the chance to take part in an online seminar with Professor Sam North from the University of Exeter’s English Department. Your memoir’s opening chapter/s will be published on the website.
- Highly Commended £150 x 3 awards: You’ll receive a 15,000 word manuscript appraisal from The Literary Consultancy, plus an invitation to an industry day with agents and publishers. You’ll have the option to take part in an online seminar with Professor Sam North from the University of Exeter’s English Department.
- Entries must be in English.
- Work written for children is not accepted.
- Entries must be submitted online or by post. No email submissions.
- 8,000 words max, (5,000 minimum) taken from the opening chapter/s and a 300 word overview which should form the first page/s of your entry.
- The first page/s of your entry must be an overview of 300 words maximum. The Overview should include: A general paragraph about the Memoir itself, A paragraph which highlights the larger themes of the work (if there are any), a short paragraph about the structure.
- Fees are £24 per memoir.
- Entries must be typed in Arial 12 pt font, double-spaced with numbered pages and the memoir’s title on every page.
- Save as a Microsoft Word document (.doc or .docx) or PDF file with the title as the file name. Please do not include your name in the file name as this will lead to disqualification.
- Max 2MB file. Include the word count for the overview and submission on the top right first page.
- Do not add cover or title pages.
- Do not send illustrated work.
- No handwritten submissions.
No specific nationality required
- No specific age required
How to Apply:
To participate in the competition, please send your memoir via mail or on the website.