About the program/Scholarship:
ArkxSite is offering ‘SITE RETREAT’ International Architecture Ideas Competition. This international one-stage architecture ideas competition invites all architecture and landscape architecture students, young architects and landscape architects, young professionals with a degree in architecture studies or landscape architecture studies (≤ 40 years old) to develop and submit compelling ideas for the design of a Site Retreat located at the ‘Cabo da Roca’, Portugal.
The Cabo da Roca, located about 40 km northwest of Lisbon, is the most western point of continental Europe. It is described by the great Portuguese poet Luís de Camões as the place ‘Where the land ends and the sea begins’, in ‘Os Lusíadas’.
When generating a vision for an intervention located within such a remarkable place, it is essential that each design proposal emphasises, respects and celebrates the site, while provide a unique and memorable experience.
ARKxSITE is a platform focused on the organisation of international architecture competitions.
- 1st Prize 2000€ (two thousand euros)
- 2nd Prize 1000€ (one thousand euros)
- 3rd Prize 500€ (five hundred euros)
- 7 Honorable Mentions
- All submissions will be published on the ArkxSite website.
- All reasonable efforts will be made to publish and promote the winners and honorable mentions in architectural magazines and blogs worldwide; however, such results will rely on agreements made with the publication entities.
- The Site Retreat is a powerful place to increase and stimulate the senses, to feel the weight and depth of the sheer cliffs, the immensity of the water and the openness of the horizon; it is a space for contemplation and a landmark within the landscape. There are no limitations in height, excavation or extension beyond the cliff edges.
- Entrance: Provide a space of transition between the natural landscape and the ‘Site Retreat’.
- Look-out point: Provide a look-out point for visitors to rest and engage with the cliffs, the sky and the sea, offering visitors a unique experience within the immensity of the place; it can be a singular space or a sequence of spaces, open and / or enclosed to the natural elements.
- ‘Inner Space’ The ‘Inner Space’ is a secluded retreat for one individual. Provide a private room to cook, sleep and a restroom, open and / or enclosed to the natural elements.
- Total area of the Site Retreat to be determined by each participant’s proposal.
- The overall design of the Site Retreat must be sensitive to the surrounding context. The existing ruins may or may not be included within the Site Retreat design proposal. Because this is an ideas competition, urban planning and building regulations will not be applied to the design proposal.
No specific nationality required
- 7 – 40
How to Apply:
1- Hit Registration Is Now Open on competition page, and fill out online form.