University of West Florida (UWF)
Based in Pensacola with additional locations in the region, UWF has awarded more than 100,000 degrees from over 70 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs. The small class sizes ensure personalized, focused attention from some of the nation’s most engaging professors.
As the home of the Argonauts, UWF builds champions for life through an intercollegiate athletics program, leading the Gulf South Conference in all-time championships and all-sports trophies.
A driver of economic impact in Northwest Florida and beyond, UWF generates approximately $1 billion in total annual sales across the Florida economy. UWF is more than a university. It’s a symbol of success, commitment to lifelong learning and change.
– About Pensacola
Beyond the natural beauty of UWF’s 1,600-acre main campus (which doubles as a stunning nature preserve), we want you to experience all that the city of Pensacola, Florida has to offer.
Located on the Gulf of Mexico, UWF is minutes from the emerald waters and white sand of some of the world’s most beautiful beaches. A vibrant and energetic beach town is only 30 minutes from campus, as well as pristine state and national parks that capture our coastal beauty.
We are also convenient to some of the most popular cities in the southeastern U.S. With easy access to major interstates, we are about 3 hours from New Orleans, 4 ½ hours to Atlanta, and 5 hours from Jacksonville.
Pensacola is home to numerous tourist attraction, sports teams, and other cultural highlights, including:
- Blue Wahoos minor league baseball team
- Pensacola Ice Flyers hockey
- Gulf Islands National Seashore
- U.S. Navy’s Blue Angels flight demonstration team
- USS Oriskany (a 130-foot-deep artificial reef for sport divers)
- National Museum of Naval Aviation
- Historic Pensacola Village
- Pensacola Comic-Con
- …And more!
The downtown area offers 450 years of history, nightlife, fresh local cuisine, art and culture, unique shopping, and festivals throughout the year celebrating the arts, culture, music, food, and Mardi Gras.
Top reasons to study here
1) Nationally-Recognized Majors and Programs: With five academic colleges and more than 70 undergraduate degree programs our campus has a program to meet almost any educational goals. Our nationally ranked programs provide students with the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members in a personalized environment.
2) Location: Located on the beautiful Gulf Coast of Florida, UWF is just minutes away from downtown Pensacola and the world’s best beaches. Pensacola was named one of the “Top 125” cities to live in the U.S. And UWF’s 1,600-acre main campus doubles as a stunning nature preserve. Have a look around with our virtual tour!
3) Professors Who Know Your Name: UWF’s small class sizes provide unparalleled opportunities for professors and students to work together within a close-knit environment. 25:1 student to teacher ratio in upper division courses.
4) International Student Scholarships: UWF also has scholarships for international students! Over 50 students were awarded in-state tuition or scholarships worth at least $10,000 annually last year.
5) Affordable: UWF offers one of the most affordable tuition plans in Florida and in the US and Pensacola offers great cost of living. Being a student in Pensacola costs 35% less than being a student in Miami!
6) Research Opportunities: UWF also awards money for undergraduate research and has been selected as the host site for the 2022 National Conference on Undergraduate Research!
7) Safe and Secure: University of West Florida has been ranked the 4th safest campus in Florida in the National Council for Home Safety and Security rankings! Learn more about campus safety here.
8) Modern Facilities: One of the perks of being part of a vibrant and growing institution like UWF is making use of its new, state-of-the-art facilities.
9) Student Life: With over 200 student organizations to choose from, there are plenty of ways to get involved. Global Quarter is one of the most popular UWF student organizations where students from all backgrounds come to meet and learn. Follow the Discord link on the UWF Global Quarter Instagram page to meet any Thursday evening at 5:30 pm Central time in the Fall or Spring semester.
10) Career Connections: UWF students have numerous opportunities to network with working professionals and alumni, building connections that will serve them well beyond college. International students also take advantage of OPT and CPT opportunities with the help of UWF International Programs.
University of West Florida (UWF) programs
about University of West Florida (UWF)
UWF welcomes students from all over the globe, as we are home to over 400 international students from over 90 different countries. Students can study in one of our five academic colleges, which offer over 70 undergraduate programs and 50 graduate degree programs. With a student population of over 13,000 students and an average class size of less than 28 students per class, students benefit from an education that focuses its energy in providing the best learning environment available.
Following a feasibility study that demonstrated the need for a university in Northwest Florida, the Florida Legislature allocated funding to develop UWF, which became the sixth out of twelve institutions of higher learning in the State University System of Florida. In 1967, UWF opened as an upper division school, with students enrolling in fall of that year.
more about History
The University of West Florida is home to five academic colleges, offering a variety of undergraduate, graduate, specialist and doctoral degree programs.
Intensive English Program
UWF’s Intensive English Program is designed to prepare international students for successful study at the collegiate level. Our talented teaching staff focus on improving students’ ability to speak, listen, and write comprehensively in English. The program also focuses on the requirements for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); which is required to study at UWF. The IEP offers five levels of instruction to meet individual needs of each student, while allowing students to be able to progress at their own pace and develop a mastery of the English language. In addition to classroom instruction, the IEP offers extra curricular activities to provide students with fun informal opportunities to practice what they have learned and gain a better understanding about U.S culture.
Did you know that UWF is home to 14 research centers?
These research centers afford graduate students unique experiences you can’t get anywhere else.
Experiences may include the following:
- Using magnetometers and sonar equipment to search for shipwrecks at the Archaeology Institute.
- Defending against simulated computer attacks in the Battle Lab and Cyber Range at the Center for Cybersecurity.
- Traveling to Wall Street for a behind-the-scenes tour of the Financial District with the Florida Small Business Development Center.
- Saving the planet at the Center for Environmental Diagnostics and Bioremediation.
Students work closely with faculty on research, theses, and other projects. Faculty also include students in conference presentations and symposiums, enhancing the graduate experience by providing a glimpse into the full research experience. Many of our programs require a research component, and our faculty will work with you to provide the best opportunities and chances for success.
Learn about more experiences open to students by checking our Research page.
Did you know there are a number of opportunities for you to engage in employment while at UWF and after you graduate? As a student, you can work on campus up to 20 hours per week, and during breaks you may engage in on-campus employment up to 40 hours per week.
You can also gain practical employment experience while studying at UWF through Curricular Practical Training (CPT), which allows you to gain real-world experience in job related to your major, so long as you are able to receive academic credit for this employment or internship experience.
After you graduate, you may have the opportunity to work in the United States in employment that is directly related to your major area of study through Optional Practical Training (OPT). Students in STEM fields may be eligible for an additional 24-month extension of post-completion OPT. Please see the STEM OPT HUB on the Study in the States website for more information.
UWF’s Office of Career Development and Community Engagement is prepared to assist you in the job search through by assisting you in research job opportunities, hosting networking events, creating a resume and practicing job interviews.
- UWF Libraries
- Career Services
- Child Care
- Copy Services
- Counseling and Wellness
- Dining Services
- Equity & Diversity
- Center for Academic Success (tutoring)
- Health Services
- ID/Nautilus Card
- Information Technology Services
- Parking and Transportation Services
- Postal Services
- Recreation and Sports Services
- Skills Improvement Centers
- Testing Services
- Vending Services
UWF offers affordable housing options located directly on campus. Options range from traditional shared accommodations to apartment-style residence halls.
- Costs: $2,900-$3,700 per semester depending on type of residence.
- All utilities (water, electricity, garbage, internet, etc. are included)
- Open year round
- Global living communities available
There are also a number of apartment complexes located within walking distance to campus, which are not operated by UWF.
The UWF Libraries’ purpose is to provide information-related resources and services to support the University of West Florida’s learning, teaching, research, and community service missions.
The John C. Pace Library includes a circulation department, equipment for checkout (laptops, cameras, etc), study spaces and other open access technology and software.
ITS is the University of West Florida’s central resource for technology-based services. ITS is responsible for providing university-wide support of information technology to students, faculty, and staff. It is the mission of ITS to enhance the University’s overall quality, extend access to programs and services, and improve operational effectiveness and efficiency.
UWF has computer labs for general-purpose use, along with many college-run labs with software and resources specifically for students in that college. General-purpose labs are free to use and open to all students, faculty, and staff.
UWF has a Student Health Services, which is a primary care clinic, located on campus. Services include women’s health, STI testing/treatment, diagnosis and treatment of minor illnesses and injuries, immunizations, health education and prevention.
For students, there is no charge to be seen by one of our providers. However, there are fees associated with labs and nursing services. Many laboratory tests required for diagnosis and treatment can be performed at SHS at a reasonable cost. Student Health Services does not bill insurance for services provided, but we highly recommend that students have health insurance.
UWF Counseling and Psychological Services provides initial assessment appointments, crisis services, individual therapy, couples therapy, group therapy, career counseling, and biofeedback. We also provide consultation to faculty, staff, students, and family members of students. Outreach, in the form of providing presentations/workshops, information booths, and larger-scale informational events.
At UWF, there’s no limit to your potential. Find your place in one of our 160-plus registered student organizations, watch a theatre production or hike the nature trail. Our campus is filled with ways to make your college years unforgettable.
The Health, Leisure, and Sports Facility (HLS) is a 105,000 sq. ft. state-of-the-art recreation facility for the UWF community, which features:
- 5,000 sq. ft. lower strength and conditioning center
- Four indoor basketball courts.
- Four racquetball courts.
- Multipurpose indoor turf soccer field.
- 36 ft. top-rope climbing wall and bouldering wall.
- 5,000 sq. ft. upper cardio floor with television screens
- Fitness areas include state of the art functional fitness area with platforms, dumbbells, benches, and squat racks
- 1/8 mile indoor track
- Massage Therapy room
- Fitness assessment room
- Two Group Fitness studios
- Men’s, Women’s, and Gender Neutral locker rooms
- Day lockers
- Lounge and study area featuring computers and a juice bar
UWF is home to 15 intercollegiate athletics teams, which have won a combined 103 conference championships and 10 national championships.
Student organizations play a vital role in the campus life at the University of West Florida, engaging thousands of students in a variety of valuable experiences and relationships. Student Involvement’s role is to promote student involvement, create a vibrant campus life and support our student leaders in achieving organizational and personal goals. This site provides resources for all organizations and students, but please also visit ArgoPulse, our online involvement portal (use UWF username and password); the dedicated sites related to Sport Clubs and Fraternity & Sorority Life; as well as the departmental websites affiliated with our many Departmental Student Organizations.
The University of West Florida is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, masters, specialist, and doctoral degrees.
- UWF has been ranked a “Best Regional College – Southeastern” by the Princeton Review each year since 2003.
- Listed in Forbes “America’s Top Colleges” (2011, 2012, 2014-2019)
- Earned the second-highest score in the Florida Board of Governors’ Performance-Based Funding Metrics (2019)
Preview this program in